North Capitol Deck Over
Re-envisioning one of Washington DC’s most iconic streets for the 21st century
Renders courtesy of ZGF Architects
The 1963 widening of North Capitol Street is today a relic of US highway expansion that has blighted historic residential neighborhoods and one of DC’s most iconic streets
Embrace the opportunity to energize North Capitol Street by transforming the commuter highway underpass into a modern, sustainable, and safe deck over of green urban space
The project aims to cover or “deck over” the North Capitol street underpass to create a neighborhood history-themed park and urban green space for Washington DC’s diverse residents, visitors, and uses; and increase walkability, safety, and connection between the city’s east and west sides.
These changes will help strengthen the community social fabric; create a sense of ‘place’ and provide inclusive activity for its abutting and diverse residential neighborhoods. The project will help transform North Capitol Street into a center for all – the local communities, D.C. residents, businesses, and visitors.
From the beginning, this has been a multi-community led initiative to develop a public park of national significance and at an important moment in time to make a statement about healthy, inclusive, vibrant and equitable cities and communities.
The North Capitol Street Deck Over project will help improve resident’s quality of life by increasing safety, reconnecting neighborhoods on the N.W. and N.E side of the street, rectifying the infrastructure wrongs of the past, protecting the environment, and creating one of the best pedestrian-accessible vistas of the U.S. Capitol Building.
Grounded in City and National Level Plans
For Building Better, Greener, Safer and More Inclusive Cities, the vision…
- Is embedded in DC Office of Planning and DDOT studies from 2014, including the Office of Planning Mid City East Small Area Plan 2014 and the DDOT mid City East Livability Study of 2014
- Contributes to making Washington DC’s Vision Zero a reality
- Supports the DC Comprehensive Plan, including Policy UD-1.4.5
- Upholds the US National Priority to reconnect neighborhoods divided by highways American Jobs Plan Fact Sheet (3/31/21)
- Follows national trends across American cities to remove highways that divide people
- Reflects International Best Practice: Green Spaces: An Invaluable Resource for Delivering Sustainable Urban Health (United Nations) and Hidden Wealth of Cities: Creating, Financing and Managing Public Spaces (World Bank)
The Best Plan to Deck Over a Street in DC (2020)
An Amphitheater, Cafe, and Splash Park Above North Capitol Street? (2020)
More Details Emerge About the North Capitol Street Promenade (2020)
What will it take to finally fix North Capitol? (2021)
Could putting a park on top of an underpass work in Bloomingdale too? (2018)
Make North Capitol Street a True Gateway (2010)
The famous street scene in the opening sequence of House of Cards is up for a Makeover (2020)
Bloomingdale Bites (2019)
The Brookland Bridge
Proposed promenade would bring a splash park, amphitheater, and cafe to North Capitol Street (2020)
Place in the Urban Space
Bloomingdale Village Square Initiative will be holding its third community forum on the proposed North Capitol Deck-over Park (2020)
A Trip Within the Beltway
Cap North Capitol Street (2010)